Monday 27 July 2015

Eye'm back










There's no doubt about it. This is one creepy cut of fabric. And by creepy, I mean AWESOME. Every girl needs an eye print frock in her wardrobe, am I right?

So anyways, I was in Tessuti looking for some silk to make an Asaka kimono. Winter was well and truly coming and when it's freezing and dreary I believe it's best to be in denial and construct inappropriate clothing. Which is when I saw this eye fabric on the bolt and thought, OMG. I love that fabric. OMG, it is $100 a metre. So I didn't buy any because I am a disciplined fabric shopper. But I couldn't stop thinking about it. And then the new collection by Papercut patterns came out and I happened to see the YoYo dress and well...what can I say? If sewing heaven exists, this match was made there.

Construction was straight forward. I didn't make any changes to the pattern and simply cut a small, grading to a medium for the skirt. My overlocker worked overtime, though. This was one fray-hungry fabric and I ended up serging all the edges first just to prevent it from disintegrating right before my eyes like the HEALTHY tofu chocolate pie I just ate without realising. Whoops.

The skivvy I am wearing underneath is also by Papercut patterns. It's the Rise and Fall Turtleneck and a great quick sew. I used a cotton jersey from Rathdowne Remnants for this one and have made quite a few since then. Some people might say you can buy basic layering pieces so cheap why bother making them? But seriously, this top takes less than an hour and you can control the fabric quality and fit in a way you can't when slopping through the depressingly loveless garments at H&M.

Overall rating? Success!




No comments:

Post a Comment